Summary of the November 10, 2014 Compassionate Austin Meet-up
Monday, November 10, 2014, 6:00 to 8:45 PM @ Cepeda Austin Public Library (651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin, TX 78702)
Summary Notes (provided by Jessie):
Meeting Recap – We held our first public meeting at the Austin Public Library’s network of branches. We accomplished the goal of meeting new people and look forward to continuing that trend to grow our family. I have compiled a list of notes below from the meeting (huge thanks to Susan). Please reach out to me if you would like deeper details on anything.
– Hosting David Breaux for 1 month in Austin as part of his traveling Compassion tour. He is traveling around the US standing on street corners finding out what people think about compassion. Martha has a friend who could possibly host; Pat volunteered a week. Both needed more info about what would be in scope. (Lesa has since provided more details). To learn more about David Breaux’s Compassion project and/or tour: http://www.gofundme.com/CompassionProject. Next steps:
o Martha to discuss cohosting with Amala and friend.
o April and May are great weather months. Schedule still TBD
– Driving Awareness of Compassionate Austin – we have a deep desire to grow our numbers and here are some things we discussed we can do to support that. I list these in a table to show next steps and where we still need volunteers or resources.
|Idea & Wish List||Next Steps / What’s Needed|
|Invite other groups doing compassionate things to present to us at our meetings so we can connect dots and network with them||Members to nominate targets and volunteer to complete next steps.|
|Seek opportunities to present ourselves to other groups doing compassionate things to drive awareness of Compassionate Austin||Members to nominate targets and volunteer to complete next steps.|
|Seek opportunities to present ourselves to neighborhood groups to drive awareness of Compassionate Austin||Members to nominate targets and volunteer to complete next steps.|
|If measurement drives behavior, find a way to track, calculate, or show compassionate behavior in an APP or other form. Map my walk as example.||Lesa: explore whether we can use Trello as interim option. In progress. Jessie to test and cascade invitation to members.|
|Leverage Charter for Compassion community toolbox to see how other cities have organized their efforts||Jessie review Charter Community toolbox resources and recommend some next steps Dec 15|
|Engage AISD schools now to have Compassionate Games on schedule for Oct 2015.||Jessie to discuss with Sam Tinnon, Casis Elem Principal by Dec 15|
|Keep Compassionate Austin members more engaged with more frequent emails that have inspiring calls-to-action.||Members –engage via Facebook, email, spreading word to your friends and community.
Jessie – send 2-3 reminders of monthly meeting with engaging assignments for interim work to encourage momentum.
|Establish Mission and Vision Statements||Jessie proposed interim statements. Feedback requested.|
|Establish Public Service Announcement for use to drive awareness||Ned provided guidance. Needs volunteer to write.|
|Increase attendance at future meetings||Members: use invitation sample below to email invitation to others.|
|Celebrate stories and examples of compassion (could submit articles for posting on Charter for compassion website, or other ideas)||Members: bring examples and volunteer to write and submit.|
|Develop website for Compassion Austin||Needs volunteer to develop & manage|
|Develop marketing & social media plan||Needs volunteer to develop & manage|
Organizational Updates: Although we are a nascent group, I am convinced that we need some of the traditional aspects of an organization to guide us as we make decisions, engage with others, drive awareness, and recruit more members. I’d like us to think of these as interim. When we outgrow them, we’ll know it is time to revisit and refine. As with anything we do or discuss, your input is important to me. Feel free to email me at email@example.com.
– Interim Proposed Mission Statement: Compassionate Austin is a growing grassroots group of Austinites united to celebrate compassionate intention and practice.
– Interim Proposed Vision Statement: Compassionate Austin’s vision is that everyone in Austin will become aware and conscious of compassion and, as a result, will lead to a more compassionate community.
– Interim Steering Committee: There are many decisions regarding direction, engagements, meeting agenda, etc. that would benefit from the thoughtful inputs of engaged advisors. To help me maintain forward progress, I’d like to find those of you who are interested in and willing to provide leadership-level guidance for Compassionate Austin. Please reach out to me if you want to serve in this capacity.
Next Meetups – Our next meetings are scheduled as follows. Dates are subject to change. I will email updates to the schedule, but you can also check public library calendars by clicking here and selecting library.
– Mon-Dec-15-2014, 6:30-8:30PM @ Yarborough Austin Public Library (2200 Hancock Dr, Austin, TX 78756)
– Mon-Jan-26-2015, 6:30-8:30PM @ Yarborough Austin Public Library (2200 Hancock Dr, Austin, TX 78756)
– Mon-Feb-23-2015, 6:30-8:30PM @ Yarborough Austin Public Library (2200 Hancock Dr, Austin, TX 78756)
– Mon-Mar-30-2015, 6:30-8:30PM @ Yarborough Austin Public Library (2200 Hancock Dr, Austin, TX 78756)
– Mon-Apr-27-2015, 6:30-8:30PM @ Cepeda Austin Public Library (651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin, TX 78702)
– Mon-May-18-2015 6:30-8:30PM @ Cepeda Austin Public Library (651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin, TX 78702)
– Mon-Jun-15-2015 6:30-8:30PM @ Cepeda Austin Public Library (651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin, TX 78702)