Be a Founding Member of the Compassionate Austin Co-op*!
**Watch Mike Clawson’s presentation to the Austin City Council on February 7, 2019!
**See the list of Co-op Members (added since 1-21-19)!
We invite you to join an innovative new initiative to foster greater connection and collaboration among organizations that promote practical “3D” compassionate action (caring for Others, Self, and the Earth) in the greater Austin area!
*We use the word “co-op” in the sense of the generic dictionary definition: “a cooperative society, business, or enterprise.” We are not an established organization or a jointly-owned commercial/business enterprise. We link organizations (and individuals) together to support and elevate their compassionate actions and share resources via Offers & Needs Markets.
Co-op Members receive both public recognition and material benefits! There is no cost to participate in the Co-op.
- Fill out the online membership request form for organizations; (private individuals, please fill out this form instead).
- Download and display your Co-op badge on your website, social media, and/or establishment.
- Participate in an Offers & Needs Market once a year (we had our inaugural Market March 31, 2019 at the New Story Festival)- the Market is a simple, interactive process to help compassionate groups & individuals help one another!
Recognition & Benefits:
We announce and highlight Co-op Members via the Compassionate Austin website and social media (Compassionate Austin Facebook page and group, etc.). We host and invite Co-op Members to Offers & Needs Markets that are held during the year. By attending the Offers & Needs Market, Co-op Members grow their connections and support throughout Austin and neighboring communities! Co-op Members receive ticket and exhibit discounts for the annual New Story Festival (This is the Signature Festival of Compassionate Austin and includes an Offers & Needs Market). Also, members receive discounts for Compassionate Integrity Training.
*More Details Below!
What is the Compassionate Austin Co-op?
The Co-op is a collective of both individuals and organizations (non-profits/businesses/schools/faith communities/civic groups/social activists/design-thinkers/musicians/ artists/youth groups, etc.) who align with and agree to represent the core values of Compassionate Austin and are committed to enacting the Austin City Council’s Compassionate Austin Resolution, promoting 3D compassionate action (caring for Others, Self, and the Earth) in the Austin community.
What does the Compassionate Austin Co-op do?
Besides their ongoing commitment to compassionate action in their personal or organizational pursuits, Co-op Members commit to doing two further things:
- Signaling their commitment to the city’s Compassionate Austin Resolution by displaying the “Compassionate Austin Co-op” badge (above) on their websites, social media, and/or physical locations.
- Support the compassionate efforts of fellow Co-op Members by participating in a Compassionate Austin Offers & Needs Market at least once a year.
What is the Offers & Needs Market?
Developed by the Post Growth Institute, the Offers & Needs Market is typically a 90-minute process where Co-op Members come together to identify and exchange their passions, knowledge, skills, resources, and needs. Combining community asset-mapping with sharing-economy principles, the Offers & Needs Market has the potential to enhance your own work exponentially!
Whether for free, barter, or a set rate, participants might offer and/or need things such as:
- Graphic design
- Photography/videography skills
- Various other kinds of professional services
- Meeting space
- Tools, vehicles, etc.
- Food/drinks for events
- Consulting in various areas of expertise
- Or whatever else they need or might have to offer!
The first Compassionate Austin Offers & Needs Market was held at the New Story Festival, March 31, 2019, at Huston-Tillotson University. It was a landmark event in Austin. It was the first citywide Offers & Needs Market and included people representing various organizations, businesses, and groups, as well as their own personal offers and needs. We’ve received wonderful feedback and are energized to offer more Offers & Needs Markets to the community!
*Recognition and Benefits for Co-op Members! (Timing deadlines and capacity limits may apply. Alignment with the Compassionate Austin core values is expected.)
- Free Passes to the annual New Story Festival (which includes an Offers & Needs Market):
- Compassionate Austin Co-op organizations receive one free 3-day Festival pass (regularly $249) for their representative to attend the Festival, including the Offers & Needs Market.
- Individual Co-op Members (i.e., those not representing organizations) wishing to participate in the Market receive either a free 1-day pass for the Festival for the day of the Offers & Needs Market or a code for 30% off the 3-day pass.
- (Other Offers & Needs Markets will likewise be free of charge. There will never be any financial obligation to being a Co-op Member.)
- Festival Exhibitor Booth Discount: Co-op Members who wish to exhibit at the New Story Festival also receive a 50% discount on their outdoor exhibitor booth spot (normally $500) or exhibit hall table (normally $250).
- Public Recognition at the New Story Festival and on the Compassionate Austin website and social media.
- Increased Community Presence and Collaboration via the Offers & Needs Market. Co-op members will receive invitations and free passes to O&N Markets (intended to be held at least twice annually). The Offers & Needs Market combines community asset-mapping with sharing-economy principles in ways that have the potential to enhance your organization’s work exponentially!
- Discounted Group Rates for “Compassionate Integrity Training” (CIT). Compassionate Austin team member Michaela Maxwell is now available to teach CIT onsite in Austin. CIT is a multi-part training program that cultivates basic human values as skills for the purpose of increasing individual, social and environmental flourishing. Contact Michaela to learn more about the Austin training! Click here for general info on CIT.
How do we become a Compassionate Austin Co-op Member?
Organizations: Fill out this membership request form to let us know you want to be part of the Co-op! Your Co-op Member badge can be downloaded from the form.
Private Individuals: Fill out this membership request form to let us know you want to be part of the Co-op! Your Co-op Member badge can be downloaded from the form.
Any other questions?
Email us at email@example.com